When mental health services are not available to those in need, the impact is felt in all areas of Ohio’s economy and society:
- Missed education opportunities & failure in school
- Lost productivity & unemployment
- Increased crime and jail time
- Inappropriate use of hospital emergency departments
- Premature death, including suicide
The good news is that recovery is possible. Early identification and treatment is very important. Most people diagnosed with a serious mental illness can get relief from their symptoms by actively participating in an individual treatment plan. Society stands to gain from making the same commitment to mental health treatment that it makes to other medical conditions. Recovery and resiliency enable adults and children with serious mental illness to recover and live, work, and participate fully in their communities.